Kia ora whānau,
We hope you all had an enjoyable Easter break and were able to catch up and spend time with your whānau over the long weekend. Weather wise, it would be one of the best we can remember. Easter Monday was the first time in a very long time that the Riverton Races had to be cancelled due to a light rainfall and the water not being absorbed into the ground. This made the track slippery and dangerous.

Rā whānau

Happy birthday to all of those celebrating birthdays this month.


Over the Easter period another volunteer working trip took place. The objective of this trip was to complete outstanding conservation and building work before the winter sets in. If you are keen to volunteer for one of these trips please contact us at the office.

Membership database update

Ōraka Aparima Rūnaka Inc are in the process of updating their membership database. All members are asked to make contact with us to confirm their registration and membership. Please take this opportunity to update and confirm your details. You can contact the office either by telephone: 03 234 8192 or email: [email protected]. Alternatively you may write to us at 175 Palmerston Street, Riverton 9822.

Your assistance with this task will be greatly appreciated.
Shona Fordyce, Vice Kaiwhakahaere.

Takahē rearing unit

Takahē were released into new predator resistant breeding pens as part of a project to save this endangered bird. To ward off predators, the pens have a thin wire mesh fence, which also features a plastic strip, functioning like the metal rings on wooden power poles, to stop animals climbing it. This keeps about 99.9 percent of predators out, with trapping ensuring the other 0.1 percent don’t get through.

Dave Taylor blessing the new Takahē rearing unit at the Department of Conservation’s Burwood Takahē Breeding Unit, near Mossburn. Photography kindly supplied by Barry Harcourt.

Kaumātua Shona Fordyce with the two awards she recently received. One is from the Invercargill Citizens Advice Bureau. The other is from the Board of Trustees of the New Zealand Historic Places trust in recognition of her contribution to the Southland branch.